BILL Forum

BILL Forum

The Story So Far 2

HOME Forum Discussion Forum The Story So Far 2

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Lemon 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Lemon
    Participant

Back when I was 16 I got hit by a transit and fractured my skull (causing a blood clot on the brain), fractured/crushed vertebrae in my spine and broke my left tib and fib just below the knee, the A&E team were rightly more worried about my head and back so my leg just had plaster “slapped on” to worry about later. (My mother said that the break in my leg was so bad they considered below knee amputation but I don’t remember, remember the head injury? I was in a coma for two weeks).
    Well, the leg just stayed in plaster for over a year (head and back fixed fine) but never “fixed” so they plated it. This was 32 years ago (to save you the maths I’m 48 now) before putting plates on bones was common place and was “set wrong” with a bow out and one to two inches shorter than t’other leg.
    For years I complained to my GP of knee pain a few years later, got referred but was told to exercise (physio) to build up my quads. As you can guess building up quads does not “fix” a bent/short leg and my knee over the years had been “wearing out”.
    Eventually i saw a consultant who saw the problem and did an arthroscopy and ground some bone off from inside my knee, this helped for a few months but the locking up / pain came back so after another arthroscopy he decided a partial new knee would “fix” it. It didn’t! So, another arthroscopy and bone grinding off which… you guessed it didn’t fix it.
    So he decided “despite your young age” (50 next year) he’d do knee revision surgery (take out the partial knee and put in a FULL new knee in).
    Which is where I am now, unfortunately I think the new knee is failing as it’s VERY painful and clunking, I’m still seeing the physioterrorists and they think all will be well but I’m not so sure.
    I’m thinking the way to go is either knee disarticulation or above knee amputation, I cannot face another knee revision! I’ve read the younger one has an amputation the “easier” it is to learn to walk (remember, 50 next year).
    So, I’d like your advice/ opinions on this, what do you think, what would you do?

Lemon
    Participant

I forgot to say, I’m on codeine phosphate painkillers supposedly max 4 a day but even if I take double that it doesn’t touch the pain. 🙁

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

It's only fair to share...Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someone