On 2nd September, Marg Jenkins, wife of DBF Ambassador, Wyn, and long term supporter of the charity, will be undertaking her own challenge, this time in support of another great cause: Wales Air Ambulance.
Wales Air Ambulance is an invaluable service, which benefits so many people and relies 100% on donations, receiving absolutely nothing from the Government or the National Lottery. Wyn and Marg personally know a number of people who have benefitted from the prompt response of this remarkable service. They “felt obliged to do something to raise a significant amount of money, rather than just drop a few bob into collection tins“.
Here are some key points about Wales Air Ambulance:-
- Wales Air Ambulance is an all-Wales charity providing vital emergency air cover for those who face life-threatening illness or injuries.
- Wales Air Ambulance responds to roughly 2000 missions every year. Around 400 of these are paediatric missions (children under 16 years).
- Approximately 30% of missions are to road traffic collisions.
- The cost of running the service across Wales is over £6 million per year.
- Each mission costs approximately £1500.
- Wales has grown to become one of the busiest air ambulance operations in the UK.
- As a registered charity the service is wholly dependent on public donations, and does not receive any support from the national lottery or the government.
You can find out more about Wales Air Ambulance by visiting their website: http://www.walesairambulance.com
Marg, affectionately known as “The Old Woman” in the cycling club she and Wyn belong to, has decided to join an organised ride which is dedicated to raising funds for the service. The ride starts on September 2 in Caernarfon at the North Wales Air Base and crosses the tough Snowdon Mountain Ranges, Penmachno, Bala and Lake Vyrnwy on the way to the second Wales Air Ambulance in Welshpool. The route then takes in another tough day traversing to Tregaron before finishing at the new Wales Air Ambulance HQ in Dafen, Llanelli – over 200 very hard miles.
She’s only been riding for three years and although she’s become quite a good cyclist, this will be a very tough challenge for her. Wyn Jenkins
If you’d like to support Marg in what will undoubtedly be a very gruelling challenge, then you can make a donation to her Just Giving Page:-
Marg would be delighted if anyone would like to put together a sponsorship page for her too.
You’ll be pleased to hear that Marg and her fellow riders will be ably supported by Wyn for says: “For once I’m stepping out of the limelight and will be giving Marg and the other 6 riders support on the road – goodness knows she’s looked after me enough!!”
Wyn and Marg have been fantastic supporters of the DBF and have, over the years, raised thousands of pounds for the charity over and above the great work Wyn does in supporting and advising fellow amputees. The DBF is delighted now to be able to return that support by getting behind Marg in her bid to raise funds for a very worthy cause.
Please do give generously and spread the word!