Our current Bader Grant Recipient of the Month, Thomas Talbot, is currently away in Spain competing for his country in the World Games. It is a fantastic achievement and a great accolade to be chosen to represent your country and both testament to and recognition of this very dedicated young athlete’s commitment, hard work and talent. He has promised to let us know how he gets on and we’ll bring you his report from the Games as soon as we have it. In the meantime we wish him the very best of success and we are very proud to have been able to support him on his Sporting Journey to date.
A bank holiday for some… but no holiday for me!
On a very hot and sunny May Day bank holiday we arrived at York University Athletics Track for the York AC Summer League series. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and there was mostly able bodied athletes taking part and it was great for RaceRunning to be included. 3 RaceRunners including myself were taking part.
I had a really good 100m race and again ran a personal best – I wasn’t expecting that! It started to get really hot and the next race was the 800m. I was quite determind to beat my pb and knew it was going to plan when I heard the 400m split time that they call out to you at the bell. I finshed feeling quite exhausted but was so pleased when I knew I had taken a good chunk off my pb again. All the training thorugh the winter was paying off a bit!
I only had three races on Monday so I had a good recovery time before my 200m race and it was probably a good job as it was over 27 degrees on the track when I lined up for my 200m. It went well and again I broke my personal best that I had run in Kingston. I know it is going to be hot out in Spain at the World Games so this was good practise for those type of conditions.
The next night I was back on the track training with my coach and we worked on speed for my 200m as well as a little endurance.
I’m now resting for the rest of the week with only some gentle treadmill work as I am conpeting again on Saturday as well as making sure all my homework is done. Oh the life of an athlete!
Useful Links: (these will open in separate tabs)
- Thomas’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ThomasTalbot25/
- Thomas’s Fundraising Page (Help Thomas to achieve his dream of becoming a Paralympic Athlete): Help raise £5000 to fund Thomas’s RaceRunning Dreams
- Part One of Thomas’s Sporting Journey: /bader-grants-news/meet-new-bader-grant-recipient-month-thomas-talbot
- Part Two of Thomas’s Sporting Journey: /bill-news/2nd-part-of-junior-bader-grant-recipient-of-the-month-thomas-talbots-sporting-journey
- Part Three of Thomas’s Sporting Journey: /bader-grants-news/part-3-of-junior-bader-grant-recipient-of-the-month-thomas-talbots-sporting-journey
- Part Four of Thomas’s Sporting Journey: /bader-grants-news/thomas-talbot-my-sporting-journey-part-4
- Part Five of Thomas’s Sporting Journey: /bader-grants-news/thomas-talbot-my-sporting-journey-part-5
- More about Bader Grants: /bader-grants
- Applying for a Bader Grant: /bader-grants/apply
Click on the link to download a pdf which can be printed or saved of the original document of Thomas’s My Sporting Journey Part 6